Followers

March 18, 2009

Learning or Leaning?

I had one of my low points yesterday morning after watching my husband grow more and more quiet over the desperation of our financial situation. We continue to be "underwater" but somehow pay our bills. Sweet smiles and encouraging words from me just aren't enough. I slipped back into a dismally familiar cave of concern. "Oh, Lord, how long?"

In our morning prayer time together we ask...beg, for assurance to make it one more day. I read the Psalms and identify with David's cries. Will He help? God has a way of answering my prayers in the are while listening to messages on the radio. Yesterday morning's message was on Proverbs 3:5-6,

"Trust the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

I've heard, read or said those verses so many times they became bland to me. But hearing them afresh in my despair allowed the light bulb to click on. I had been trusting with all my heart but not abiding any further. I realized I was leaning on my own understanding. Paralized, I thought the only options out of our financial problems were to pay everything off by:
  • Selling the house.
  • Marty getting a new full time job.

We saw no other option because we were leaning on our own understanding.

I called Marty immediately and told him to go online and listen to the message. It lifted his spirits, too, and we were able to embrace the rest of that portion of Proverbs. By acknowledging we had been leaning on the limited possible solutions to our plight we saw our trust had been limited, too. Goodness and mercy had followed us and we simply needed to acknowledge it was there so we could refocus on the Lord and watch for Him to make our paths straight. We were wandering aimlessly and He gently guided us back to His side.

Our problems are still before us, but God is gently prodding us forward. Where we end up only He knows. However, we know He will stay close reminding us to trust, acknowledge and walk in the path He has set before us.

No comments: