Followers

July 14, 2011

Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth

A few years ago, as we were preparing to leave on a trip, I sat down with our house/pet sitter to leave some final instructions of what I expected her to do until I returned. I had confidence she would do all I asked, but still I stressed the most important things so the garden would continue to grow and the dog would be cared for.

As I was reading through John chapters 13-16, I noticed Jesus’ final instructions to His disciples before His departure. He, too, had expectations on those men so the garden He had planted would continue to grow and the people would be cared for. That’s about as close to a comparison my situation and Jesus’ went.

Those four chapters of John are jammed packed with important information for the disciples and for us to ponder. I was amazed at the chronological order Jesus listed as they sat listening during the Passover meal. Even at a time where the enemy had already put into Judas’ heart to betray Christ, He teaches lovingly and begins washing feet. Beginning in John 13, Jesus began teaching concerning forgiveness. Peter quickly challenges Jesus for His desire to wash Peter’s feet. But is reminded he has already been cleansed by his confession of faith. Yet, Peter and all the rest will make poor choices in their walk and need to seek Jesus’ forgiveness for the daily things we “step in” ensuring the need for us to commune with Jesus each day.

The second area was concerning His betrayal. Jesus lets the group know what is coming and that one of them is the betrayer. Personally, I wonder what Jesus could see in that room. “Scripture says in verse 27 that Satan had entered Judas which means Satan was in the room with Jesus and the disciples. If Satan was there, I venture to guess there were a mess of demons there, too. Earlier in verse 21 of chapter 13 we read, “When Jesus had said this [referring to those who receive Him receive Him who sent Him] He became troubled in spirit and testified, and said ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, that one of you will betray Me.” I assume if Satan and the demons were in the room the oppression was disturbing what Jesus was displaying and teaching His disciples. Hence, He tells Judas “What you do, do quickly.”

The third instruction Jesus give is concerning His departure. Follow me a little further with this idea that the Satan possessed Judas has left with all the demons in tow. The room now lifted of the oppression and was replaced with a freedom to hear and respond as Jesus continues teaching. He tenderly calls them “little children”. I don’t think this was an insult. Rather, I think He was speaking to them as His own. Jesus grabs their attention by saying I won’t be with you much longer and where I go you can’t come. Wow! That would get my attention. Now that He has every eye on Him, He entrusts to them a new commandment “to love one another, even as I have loved you, so you love one another.” (John 13:34) How has He loved us? With grace and mercy! Does that mean we are to offer other grace like Him? Show mercy to those even if they don’t deserve it? Yes, indeed.

Ours and the disciples fourth instruction concerns Heaven. Jesus knew their hearts had started fretting about Him leaving so He calms them with the first verse of chapter 14 “Let not your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me.” Notice Jesus did not say let not your hearts be troubled. He knows us individually and was speaking to each one of them as His loved each one. Jesus goes on to tell them why He is leaving, to prepare a place for them in Heaven so where He is, they can be also. He closes this fourth part with “And whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything, in My name, I will do it.” (John 14: 13-14)

Well, if Jesus left earth to be with the Father, does that mean the disciples were left high and dry? No, Jesus now brings us to His instruction concerning the Holy Spirit. He tells them He will request the Father God to send a Helper who will be with them forever. A Helper who will abide in them as Jesus says, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep MY word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him, and make Our abode with him…But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.” (John 14: 23; 26)

At this point, I breathe a sigh of relief. Walking these five instructions so far have brought me to stand firm on the confidence of the Holy Spirit’s position and faithfulness that is with me always. Which brings us to Jesus’ sixth instruction concerning peace. He says He leaves us peace. Not like the world gives so we are not to let our heart be troubled. (Again the singular “heart”). He also says that even though He is leaving, He will come to us. A part of this “peace” encompasses the fact Jesus lets us know, just as He did the disciples, we will experience trouble in this world, but HALLELUJAH! He has overcome the world.

The seventh instruction concerns our fruitfulness. Wouldn’t it be a shame to have this great peace, the Holy Spirit within us, the knowledge of Heaven, the forgiveness of Jesus and the promise of His return yet not an opportunity to bear fruit in return? Jesus encourages us to abide in Him. Stay close and trust Him to lead. I have found the times I choose to be in control of my life, little is accomplished. But when I talk to Jesus and ask Him to takeover control of my plate, He displays how beautiful the results can be and tells me the reason staying close to Him is so needful. It is that my joy may be made full. He wants me joyful as He is joyful. Interestingly enough, in this message of being fruitful, He reminds again of His new commandment to love each other as He has loved. I think He’s trying to tell us something, huh?

Jesus’ eighth instruction is concerning the World. I think of the World and I fret. Jesus says the world will hate us because we are in Him and the world hates Him. Well, that pretty much sums up how we are treated as Christians. We try to be nice to those in the world but since we bear witness of Him because the Holy Spirit lives within us, opposition persists. He gives a warning the hour will come, and to expect it, but remember He told us it was coming. We are to be in the world, but not of the world, right? However, since the world is evil does that mean Jesus let us off the hook for loving others that don’t know Him? Let it not be so. We are to love our enemies. Our actions and words toward those yet to know of His kindness display our heart condition. We need to watch our step. He tells us He has given us this instruction so that we may be kept from stumbling. (John 16:1)

I guess the weight of the world prompts Jesus to give us a repeat of our fifth as we view our ninth area of instruction, concerning the Holy Spirit. Jesus says when the Holy Spirit comes He will convict the world concerning sin, righteousness and judgment. The Holy Spirit will guide us in all truth and disclose to us the will of the Father.

Finally, Jesus lists the last area of instruction before He leaves earth concerning His return. Jesus tells them in a “little while” they will not behold Him, but then in a “little while” they will see Him. I’m sure this really messed with their minds. “We’ll see Him and then we won’t and then we will?” Jesus gives them the biggest “heads up” of their lives. He foretells that when He departs they will weep and lament while the world rejoices. Oh, that’s hardly good news. But then He says, “but your sorrow will be turned to joy…and no one will take your joy away.” (John 16: 20; 22) He’s telling them that they will remember and “get” what He was saying at that time. His words spoke truth, didn’t they? The disciples did weep and mourn but their joy was greater than they could ever have imagined at Jesus’ resurrection. Then as the Holy Spirit was given to them they set the world on fire for a world to know, in Jesus’ name.

We live in a stressful time and only God knows what tomorrow brings. I’m concerned with what is happening in our country and I easily fret. I recently read an article where the writer was asked by theologian, Dallas Willard, if you could only use one word to describe God, what would it be? A list came to the writer’s mind of holy, sovereign, loving, etc. but he could not rest on just one. Dr. Willard looked into his eyes and shared his own one word. “Relaxed.” My first response to this was WHAT? But as I pondered the word I realized God does not fret. He is not out of control or wringing His hands. He is completely aware of all, and none of it has ever been out of His sight or His ability to accomplish what He would will. He was and is relaxed. As I go through my days with the spirit of the living God inside me, I too can tap into a peace knowing a “relaxed” Lord has it all under control.

1 comment:

Hank Sullivan said...

An excellent post, Mimi. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your take on those passages from John.

Some Christians believe that since the time Jesus walked on the earth, Satan has given his demons a break of sorts. Jesus cast out demons. Jesus spoke about demons walking the earth looking for vacant souls, those souls not inhabited by the Holy Spirit, in which to take up residence, as Satan did with Judas and various demons did individuals in the New Testament scriptures. Given the nature of the world, and Satan's motive's concerning the world, that is hard for me to imagine. I am curious to know; what do you think?