Followers

May 28, 2009

Becoming the Empty Chair

One of my friends from high school, recently hugged her son Kris good-bye as he headed for a six month deploymet to Baghdad. Kris is an Air Force captain serving in the JAG (Judge Advocate General) office there. His career as a lawyer uniquely qualified him for this position in Iraq to help get that country ready for the transition to self rule.

Kris calls his blog, "Becoming the Empty Chair". I have read all of his entries, which are filled with insight and wisdom intensified by his experience in Iraq. I have considered this profound title and come up with what it means for me as I ponder this young man's faith in the midst of constant danger. One could imagine the "Empty Chair" is what he sees when he remembers the breakfast table of his home in Athens, GA where his brother and parents are gathered. Rather, I see Kris becoming less of himself and more like Christ. Don't get me wrong, Kris is scared, lonely and longing for a hug. Yet, I see a God granted trust exemplified as he writes. His blog writings will be complied into a book upon his return. I think of the following Psalm as one that expresses his position and calling:

"Whom have I in heaven but Thee? And besides Thee, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strenth of my heart and my portion forever. For behold, those who are far from Thee will perish; Thou hast destroyed all those who are unfaithful to Thee. But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord God my refuge, that I may tell of all Thy works." Psalm 73:25 - 28

Songwriter, Bob Fitts' song, "He Will Come & Save" has become my prayer for Kris. The words are:
Say to those who are fearful hearted, "Do not be afraid; the Lord your God is strong and with His mighty arm, when you call out His name." He will come and save.
He will come and save you. He will come and save you. Say to the weary one, "Your God will surely come." He will come and save you. Lift up your eyes to Him, you will arise again. He will come and save you.
Say to those who are broken hearted, "Do not lose your faith; the Lord your God is strong with His loving arms, when you call out His name." He will come and save.

I have committed to pray for Kris daily during his deployment, but devoted a special time on Memorial Day with friends. He had sent the following words which were quite fitting for all who have served and are serving:

"A veteran- whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve: is someone who at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount "up to and including my life." In looking and reflecting on this quote for a few moments, the focus of the sentence is obviously the sacrifice. I believe that is the more striking of the messages of the quote. Given that I so long to go home with new hope growing on distant shores, I certainly empathize with the thought that I've handed my life in the form of a blank check towards a more noble purpose. The less obvious point of the quote is contained in one word: "wrote." This point, certainly present, standing in the center of the quote, is easily overshadowed by the concept of sacrifice. I chose to be here, to do this. Embracing this choice has ironically been the act which has set me free. In my Strength For Service devotional on the 21st of May, I was reminded of Isaiah's response to God's call in Isaiah 6:8. God calls Isaiah to fulfill his calling asking "Whom shall I send", and Isaiah, simply, gracefully, and powerfully responds, "here I am Lord; send me."

Jesus asked three times for "this cup to pass" but accepted God's will and was in agreement with the Father. Kris would like to get away from the forty pounds of weight he must carry to protect him; the 120 degree heat and the constant awareness he must have of his surroundings. Yet, Kris has accepted and is in agreement with the Father as to this "cup". He will drink this cup in whatever form the Lord chooses as he becomes the empty chair. All the while his vessel is overflowing.

Non Nobis Domine! Not to us but to Thy Name be the glory.

No comments: