Followers

October 8, 2009

I'm Such a Kid

Recently, while serving my 2 year old grandson breakfast, I got a glimpse of how I might be seen by God. My grandson was very attentive to me as I continued to dish out the bananas, eggs and toast. He happily patted his fingers together using the sign for "more" of his favorites. He laughed with me and watched me closely which made my heart sing. However, after his tummy filled he lost interest. He was now so satisfied he didn't even bother to give me the sign for "all done". He simply ignored me.

As I sat there trying to get his attention again, I wondered how often I had turned away from the Lord after my momentary need was met. How many times has the Lord given to me but having my fill I moved my thoughts elsewhere. My spirit felt a stab of pain when my grandson had finished with me and I asked God's forgiveness for the times "I'm such a kid." And yet, wasn't it Jesus who said we needed to be like a child to see heaven? I looked at my grandson again and felt such love, even though he was more interested in a bird outside, and thought about how great is our God to love us in our selfish ways.

God remembers that we are dust and showers us with mercy. I don't expect my grandson to praise me for his breakfast...yet. He is just a toddler and doesn't understand all that is done for his good. He just receives. In a short period of time, he will understand the importance of a thankful heart. As Christians grow in our faith, we too understand the importance of giving praise and honoring the One who saved us and provides for our needs according to His riches in glory, in Christ Jesus.

No comments: