Followers

July 5, 2010

Taking a 3 year old before Jesus

The message at church yesterday was on the paralyzed man who's friends lowered him through a roof to get him before Jesus. (Luke 5:17-26) As I listened I became aware the paralyzed man never spoke. We don't see him ask his buddies to take him, they just seem to gather and do it because they believed Jesus was willing to heal. The Lord impressed upon me the importance of fellow believers bringing our requests before Jesus, and He especially impressed upon me those without a voice.

Our three year old grandson is without a voice. A few months ago he was diagnosed with a mild form of Autism and his biggest handicap has been his speech. He cannot verbalize his needs and we struggle to understand how, why, he must carry this burden. But, yesterday, God was showing me that He has purpose for this trial and those who stand with us will see the hand of God move.

Perhaps God wants our prayers to go deeper than "fix him, Lord". Perhaps there is some area of healing God is doing in some other aspect. In John 11:15, Jesus speaks a fact, "Lazarus is dead, and I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, so that YOU may believe." Jesus used an impossible situation to bring His followers into a closer understanding of His purposes. I think those friends of the paralyzed man had faith, but no idea Jesus would forgive the man's sins first. That's when the conflict arose of what Jesus had claimed to do. The Pharisees were questioning the healing of the most important of all healings, forgiveness of sins. Jesus asks the scribes and Pharisees to reason and evaluate Who He was as He healed the soul. It was then He chose to heal the body.

Is God asking me, and those who join me, to figuratively take this baby before Jesus and believe on a deeper level? Why has He placed this on my heart? Maybe God wants to do a deeper healing in our family. Maybe a more intense understanding in our life groups. Maybe He is using this little boy to get members of our church to believe Jesus is Who He says He is.

Will you join me in taking this baby before Jesus? Will you ask the Lord to show me, us, His will in a deeper way? I want to be changed according to God's will. I am even boldly asking the Lord to give this child a voice through the healing grace of Jesus.

I am aware this heart for my grandson is personal, but I am also aware I have been called to be obed be obed
be obedient to His prompting. Please let me know if you agree to pray for him. The Lord may not be calling you all to do this burden so just let me know if it has struck you to pray. Who knows, you may be joining this effort so that you may believe.

13 comments:

Flourishing said...

Thank you for sharing. Your post also reminded me of what we learned in our BSF study on this same story, which is the intercession on the behalf of others, who as you said may not be able to ask on their own or have never thought to ask.
Thank you for this reminder.

Moseley said...

thanks mom. this means a lot to me. I'm so thankful that even at such a young age, and in such a condition, Marty would be instrumental in Gods plan. I see big things for him. thank you mom.

honey t said...

Mimi, I stand before God on your behalf. I am a true believer when it comes to intercession, especially on behalf of those who have no "voice". I have made a career of this very thing on a daily living level. I believe you have a wonderful point and I am willing to speak your name, as well as your grandson's, in prayer. I eagerly await His answers.

Unknown said...

I'm all in.

Also, let's ask God to reveal if there's something deeper that He wants to show us. Something more than "heal Marty, Lord" - perhaps something that He wants us to know first.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Mimi, thank you for sharing this most moving acclamation of how God can and will move in our lives. Indeed, I will pray for your grandson and that great works through him will be done by our Lord and in his name.

I needed this reassurance right now more than you know. God is good!

Linda said...

I will coninue to pray for Marty and your family.
One thing I like is how you are putting your faith out there for all to see and that is also what I am praying for. I want God to draw someone to your blog to see how we come to God in prayer. Not just for ourselves but for others and by asking for prayer the support we can find. I really feel we need the support and prayers of others but we don't always want to put our needs out there. Thank you Mimi. By asking God to help you, you help us by sharing and leading us.

Unknown said...

As the paralyzed man’s friends literally lifted him onto the roof and then lowered him to Jesus, it is so important to be surrounded by friends that will lift us up in prayer when we are “without a voice”. It is amazing that God can affect one person’s life, even when he or she is unable to express himself or herself, to affect the lives of so many others. While healing the paralyzed man and raising Lazarus Jesus directly affects these two men’s lives, it also indirectly affects the lives of potentially millions of others. It affected those who witnessed these events, and those who heard or read about them for the past 2,000 years. I will join you in prayer for healing for your grandson and that God’s omniscience in this situation will be a witness to many others.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

As the paralyzed man’s friends literally lifted him onto the roof and then lowered him to Jesus, it is so important to be surrounded by friends that will lift us up in prayer when we are “without a voice”. It is amazing that God can affect one person’s life, even when he or she is unable to express himself or herself, to affect the lives of so many others. While healing the paralyzed man and raising Lazarus Jesus directly affects these two men’s lives, and indirectly affects the lives of potentially millions of others. It affected those who witnessed these events, and those who heard or read about them for the past 2,000 years. I will join you in prayer for healing for your grandson and that God’s omniscience in this situation will be a witness to many others.

pmstevens said...

Dearest Mimi,

Your Faith continues to be an inspiration for me. I will most definitely offer my prayers up for your grandson. I believe in the power of stepping into the gap for others, with or without a voice, as you have done for me. I believe that God wants his people to do life together and all of our stories are interwoven, so should be our prayers. May we be granted the wisdom to see what God reveals.

MaryAnn said...

Thanks for sharing what is on your heart. I have already joined you in praying for our grandson. The Lord does not put us in any situation that He won't use for our benefit. I believe that He will use little Marty's challenges in our family to learn more about Him and ourselves on a deeper level. Our part is to pray and respond.

Anonymous said...

Hey honey! Of course we will pray for your precious grandson. In his face I see you and little Marty when he was that age so all will be well with him as he grows and makes his impact on the world. You said how good it felt for him to run into your arms when you returned and that connection is unbreakable even without spoken words. Miss you terribly - your visit was such a blessing for both of us. Much love, Carolyn

Felicia Larson said...

Thank you Mimi for the opportunity to pray with you and your family for your grandson. I like joining in prayer and seeing what God will do. It strengthens my faith and makes me part of a circle that otherwise I may never have known. Blessings to you and yours.